By Helen Wilcox
- Represents an exploration of a yr within the textual lifetime of early sleek England
- Juxtaposes the diversity and variety of texts that have been released, performed, learn, or heard within the related 12 months, 1611
- Offers an account of the textual tradition of the yr 1611, the surroundings of language, and the guidelines from which the approved model of the English Bible emerged
Read Online or Download 1611: Authority, Gender and the Word in Early Modern England PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
The Cromwellian Protectorate was once a interval of innovation in poetry and drama, in addition to constitutional debate. This new account of the interval specializes in key cultural associations -- Parliament, an embassy to Sweden, Oxford college, Cromwell's country funeral -- to check this poetry's courting with a tradition in transformation and challenge.
Nancy Armstrong argues that the heritage of the unconventional and the historical past of the trendy person are, relatively actually, one and an analogous. She means that yes works of fiction created a topic, one exhibiting wit, will, or power able to transferring the social order to furnish the phenomenal individual a spot commensurate along with his or her person worthy.
British Romantic writers imagined the Polish exile as a sympathetic wanderer whose place of origin now not existed and the Russian as barbarous and starving. yet within the Victorian period either have been obvious as smart, deceitful voters of the realm. This interesting publication restores the importance of jap Europe to nineteenth-century British literature, providing new readings of William Blake's Europe, Lord Byron's Mazeppa, and George Eliot's Middlemarch, and recuperating influential works by means of Jane Porter and Thomas Campbell.
An exam of political and cultural acts of commemoration, this research addresses the way in which own and collective loss is registered in prose, poetry and drama in early smooth England. It specializes in the relationship of illustration of violence in literary works to ancient traumas similar to royal dying, secularization and regicide.
- A Cultural History of Early Modern English Cryptography Manuals
- Orwell and Marxism: The Political and Cultural Thinking of George Orwell (International Library of Cultural Studies)
- Compromise and Resistance in Postcolonial Writing: E. M. Forster's Legacy
- A Doctor's Line: Poetry and prescriptions in health and healing
Additional info for 1611: Authority, Gender and the Word in Early Modern England
1611: Authority, Gender and the Word in Early Modern England by Helen Wilcox